Fighting while pregnant. Nobody ever expects that to happen to them. Pregnancy is supposed to beautiful, happy, and wonderful. I mean, so many things are happening to you, the baby, your body.
What happens when you find yourself in a fight for your own life, but your baby suffers? What happens when the person that shot you goes free, while you’re held responsible for the loss of your baby’s life when it could have just been self-preservation?
- An Alabama woman who suffered a miscarriage after being shot last year has been indicted for manslaughter in the loss of the fetus.
- Marshae Jones was five months pregnant in December 2018 when, during a fight, Ebony Jemison shot her in the stomach.
- A Jefferson County grand jury said the former mom-to-be was responsible because she started the brawl, AL.com reported.
- Pleasant Grove Police Lt. Danny Reid:
- “Let’s not lose sight that the unborn baby is the victim here.”
- “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”
- “[The fetus] had no choice in being brought unnecessarily into a fight where she was relying on her mother for protection.”
- Initially, police charged Jemison, 23, with manslaughter but the charges were dismissed when a grand jury didn’t indict her.
- Even though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities said she caused the death by initiating the fight.
- Cops said the fight was about the unborn baby’s father.
- Jones was taken into custody Wednesday [June 26]. She will be transferred to Jefferson County Jail and held on $50,000 bond.
A Rant in my Spirit:
Let me first say that this story was ALL over the news. I mean, just everywhere! So, I had to write about it as well.
Then, when I finally read what happened. I realized why it was everywhere. My next thought was… how? 🤔
How does something like this happen? How does a person, who fired the shot, not get arrested? How does the person on the receiving end of the shot become responsible for the life that was lost?
Wasn’t losing her baby enough? How on top of that do you reason with an unjust decision to be like, oh… so the mother who was shot is responsible for the loss of her own child b/c she initiated the fight?!
🤨 HUH?! Make it, make sense. 🤨
There’s gotta be more to the story than what’s written here. There just has to be, right?
Like, it simply can’t be this shallow and that’s the end of it b/c if that’s the case… to hell with errything and errybody! 🤬🤬
A Word of Advice:
🗣GET’CHU A BOMB ASS LAWYER‼
No matter the cost b/c sometimes it really is just about finding the right lawyer that can bust down ridiculous charges.
Now, I know that everyone can’t afford expensive lawyers, but if it would keep me out of jail on a bogus ass charge(s), that’s an expense that I’d be willing to make.
Like, my freedom ain’t about to be taken away simply b/c of bullshit. NOPE! This is one time that I’d be willing to bargain, barter, or beg to get the best lawyer possible.
As we know, there are too many people who couldn’t make bail for whatever reason and ended up dying in a place they never should have been to begin with… yes, easier said than done, but prayer changes things. I’d start there.
My prayers are with Marshae. 😢