Tyler Perry. Known for his plays, TV shows, and movies. Known to give black actors many, many jobs. Known as “Madea.” Known to own his own production studios.
Known to work with Oprah Winfrey. Known to give back to the community. Came from very, very humble beginnings. Known to love, honor, and serve God above all else.
- New shows are coming to BET.
- His whole first 10 movies were about his mother, for his mother.
- His mom used to take him, at 5, with her while she played cards with her friends.
- That’s how he learned to make people smile, laugh.
- He comforted his mother, after she was beaten by his father, by imitating her friends and she’d laugh.
- At 11-12, he started a new school where he had to walk past drug dealers, pimps, prostitutes, a cemetery, etc to get to school.
- He passed a man on the way, asking for help to cross the 6-lane highway, but nobody stopped to help him, but Tyler did.
- He took a lesson from that to help people cross to the other side; from pain to happiness, from poverty to success, etc.
- He uplifted black women, “You’re worthy, strong, powerful, and amazing.”
- He started hiring people like Taraji P. Henson, Idris Elba, and Viola Davis, who couldn’t get jobs as black actors.
- He’s helped those actors and many others cross over to success. He owes the ability to do that, to God.
- He built his studio in the poorest, most rundown neighborhood in Atlanta, GA. He did that so that black children could see that a black man did that, showing them that they can do it too.
🗣The studio was once a confederate army base with confederate soldiers, plotting and planning on how to keep 3.9 million negroes enslaved. Now, it’s owned by ONE negro‼
🗣While everyone is fighting for a seat at the table, referencing #OscarSoWhite, he focused on building his own‼ He knew if he built it, God would prepare it in the presence of his enemies.
- He would rather be an inspiration, than an icon.
🗣There are people, who are dreamers. People whose lives are tied into your dream. OWN YOUR STUFF!!!! Your business. Your way. ✌🏾
Listen, say what you want about Tyler Perry, but he’s come a long way. I love that he continues to give back, employs black folks, and loves God.
I am always in awe when he talks about his life. I can appreciate his humbleness. However, his speech blew me away. I just… it was so inspiring! 👏🏾👏🏾
I have it in this post, so that it can inspire you too!